New in SYN-TAX 5.10-pc as compared to version 5.02
1. Ordinal (nonmetric) clustering procedures, both agglomerative-hierarchical and iterative-nonhierarchical are provided. Three measures of resemblance (e.g., Goodman-Kruskal gamma and Kendall tau adjusted for ties) for the ordinal data type are now available. The ordinal resemblance measures consider only the rank order of the data values and, accordingly, the clustering procedures also consider only the rank order of resemblances in the detection of group structure in the data. Recommended for analyzing Braun-Blanquet and derived scale types.
2. Constrained ordination methods, namely canonical correspondence analysis and redundancy analysis are included. The program provides eigenanalysis solutions as described in Jongman et al.'s book, and has therefore certain limitations. The number of observations is limited to 999, the number of variables (criterion plus constraining) cannot exceed 150. Graphics output includes triplots (joint ordination of observations, criterion and constraining variables).
3. Three types of biplots can be selected for display after principal components analysis. These are: Euclidean biplot, Mahalanobis biplot and mixed (Rohlf's) biplot.
4. A cladistic method, neighbor joining of Saitou and Nei, is added to produce optimally additive trees based on dissimilarity matrices. The additive tree is displayed graphically, just as ordinary dendrograms. The number of objects is limited to 200.
5. All pattern analysis modules applicable to the evaluation of digitized multi-species point patterns are avaiable through a new shell program, SYN- PATT. In addition to the old procedures, a new information-theory based method, individual centered analysis [as described in Journal of Vegetation Science 8(3), 1997] is included.
6. New utility programs include routines to convert NT-SYS dendrogram files into SYN-TAX format and vice versa, and to convert NEXUS tree files into SYN-TAX format.
New .EXE files: CCOA, RDA, NMAGG, NMCLUS, DARIUS, NEJOIN, NTOS, NEIPLOT,
DENTRANS, SYNPATT. New .OVR is SYNPATT.OVR. Modified .EXE files are IMPVAR,
SYNTAX, MATTEST, ORDPLOT, DENDPLOT, PRINCOMP and SYNTAX.OVR. These simply
replace old files in ver. 5.02.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- Upgrade NOTEs: The upgrade files for registered users of SYN-TAX (i.e., those who have ver. 5.02) are on one HD or DD diskette in archived format: file SYNUP51.EXE. Copy it into the directory containing the previous version of SYN-TAX, and execute by entering SYNUP51 to overwrite the obsolete files. If you receive a complete set of ver 5.1 rather than the upgrade, installation is the same as for new customers. Users of earlier versions (5.01 or earlier) should do a full installation.
Note to Mac users: The above changes will be implemented in the Mac version during the fall of 1997.